History of Victoria Public Hall Chennai
Victoria building is one of the historical buildings in Chennai constructed by the British Government. The name Victoria was named after the Empress of British India. This building was constructed to remember the Golden jubilee of the Empress Victoria. Victoria Public Hall is also called as The Town Hall which was used as the Cinema theater and also public assembly room in the late 19th and in the early 20th century. Victoria Public Hall is presently used as the South Indian Athletic Association Club. In the year 1882, the Town hall was decided to be constructed. The foundation stone was laid by the King of Vijayanagar named Aanandha Ghajapati Rao. During this foundation, there were many kings namely the king of Mysore, King of Travancore, King of Pudhukottai and the High court judge of those days. The architecture of the Victoria Hall was designed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm. The grand opening of the hall was held on 1880. The Town hall soon became the place to held meetings and to conduct social meetings. Great people like Swami Vivekanandha and Mahatma Gandhi has visited the Public Hall. Many plays were held by Pammal Sambanda Mudaliar and Sankaradoss Swamigal.
Details about Victoria Public Hall/Town hall Chennai
For the first 30years, the Victoria Public Hall was used as the Hall for public meets and social works. It later became a theater after 1906. The Suguna Vilasa Sabha was constructed close to the Victoria Hall and the first play which was played there was "Kaadhalar Kangal". It was in The Victoria Public Hall, the first Cinema in Chennai took place. This introduction of Cinema in this Town hall become popular and became famous into the public and gained footage among the people. But later in the year of 1985, as a part of renovation, the Town Hall was not taken care properly and many shops inside the Town Hall was removed. Many hotels started playing in the Town Hall for lease. But in the year 2010,the supreme court ordered the hotel to give back the hall to the corporation.
About the Victoria Public Hall building
Near Moore Market the Victoria public hall is situated. The building is actually located in the EVR Periyar Salai. The Building was constructed between Ripon Building and Central Railway Station in Chennai. The town hall was built with red brick and lime mortar paint, This building has a Travancore-style roof. The ground floor of the Town hall got an area of about 13,342 sq ft and 12,541 is the first floor area of the building on the whole. The hall of the town hall has the seating arrangement of about 600 people at a stretch and the first floor has about 200 people on the whole. The building has some terracotta works and some Islamic Calligraphy. The living room has four staircases. One of the staircases leads to the Balcony and other to the terrace.The popular fountain naed Trevelyan Fountain is present in the Hall of the Victorian Public Hall.
Enhancement in Victoria Public Hall Building in Chennai building
In the year 1961, the enhancement of the work of the Town Hall was done in the month of October. The Chief minister at that time was Annadurai, he dedicated this Hall for the Public usage. But then the building was closed for the next forty years . Then the next Chief minister took effort to reopen the Town Hall which was closed. In the year 2009, the building was enhanced by the Corporation of Chennai. Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission helped in enhancing the Victoria Public Hall. The Mission contributed nearly 40 million to enhance the Building. Sound and light show are about to be conducted once the building work is finished on the ground floor. The cultural shows are expected to be held at First floor. The work completion is about to be completed in the month of June 2012.