Vallakottai is tiny hamlet near Chennai, India. It is situated on the highway between Sriperumbudur and Singaperumalkoil near Chengalpattu. The village is surrounded by many factories. Vallakottai Murugan temple is situated in this place and over the years it has become one of the icon of that locality.
Muruga, Valli and Devasena
History & Description
The Temple was recently renovated. People from various places visit this temple during festival days. The Subramaniya Swamy idol in this temple is the tallest Lord Muruga statue in India.
The temple is believed to be 1200 years old.
Long ago, the place was believed to be occupied by a demon called vallan. It was considered to be his fort. Upon hearing the devas ordeal and oppression at the hands of asura, lord muruga decided and destroyed the assuran to restore the peace and prosperity.
As per the death wish of assuran, he blessed the place with the name Vallankottai. In course of time, the name became Vallakotai. In the eight songs of the Thirupukazh, sung by Arunagirinadhar, the place has been referred to as Kodainagar.
The temple has a tank and tit is known as Vajra theertham. People strongly believe that a holy dip in the tank with the chanting of the mantra ‘OM Saravanabhava’ would end all miseries.
Frequent bus facility is available to the village from Tambaram, Sriperumbudur, Kanchipuram, Poonamalle, T Nagar,Broadway and Padappai.
Important Festival Days
Aadi Krithikai, Thai Poosam,
Tamil New Year's Day.
Morning – 5.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Evening – 3 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.
On Sundays and on festival days and on Krithikai, the temple will be open throughout.