You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Local Q & A

Syllabus for small children

Is it possible for a 5 year old child to understand and read about solar system, differentiate between carnivorous animals, herbivorous animals and omnivorous animals, read, understand and write Bharathiyar's 'Pudhiya Aathichudi or about global warming and climatic changes?

These are the lessons taught in the school for tiny tots. Home works, tests, exercises, exams, projects list goes on.

Kindly explain me, is this the correct way of teaching?

With all these heavy works, the children doesn't have any time to play or relax.

Why don't we do something for this? Let us give the children the joy and happiness.

Regards
    Uma
    Yes it is possible. last week my son learnt about the vertibrates and invertibrates. His class has students of age 2.5 to 5, since its montessori school. They also teach about the solar system. They call it unit study. They take one unit study per week and learnt all about it. All activities including coloring are based on the unit study. for example if next weeks unit study is south america they do focussed activites. small children do coloring and tracing. little bigger children put together a puzzle of south america with all the countries in it. learnt about animals and food that belong to south america. Apart from the unit studies they do their regular math and reading too.
    I personally use flash card to teach my son. he loves seeing pictures and knowing facts.

Teaching them is different from making them write. I took my daughter to Planetarium and zoo. It always help.

Yes you are right. Writing is impossible at that age. And testing them is even more ridiculous.

Any more suggestions? I really want a serious solution. I had a feeling that we as well as school are torturing children in the name of education, stealing their precious childhood.
    Uma

http://www.kidsastronomy.com/solar_system.htm
    here is a very nice website to learn about solar system. very interactive and nice animations.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.